Theme Preview Rss

President’s Tea House – 3.5 stars

Are you a Chinese food-junkie like me and my husband? If you are then welcome to the club!

Have you tried any new Chinese restos lately? We have tried everything from Chowking to Mr. Choi's Kitchen in Robinson’s Pioneer and Waltermart, Munoz to Charlie’s in San Juan and yes, I almost forgot, Mann Hann and Gloria Maris.

Let me see, did I miss out any other Chinese resto we’ve been to? Hmmm… I hope not.

Anyway, we are just so happy that President’s Tea House has opened a branch in SM North – Annex. We used to go all the way to Binondo (from our house in the boondocks of Novaliches) just to get our fill of their eight—treasures noodles, Yang Chow, dumplings and buchi after their branch on the 5th floor of Megamall closed down years ago.

Actually, it was in Megamall where we discovered President’s Tea House way back in 2005. Well, it wasn’t really a discovery because they were highly recommended by a friend who also loves to indulge his gustatory cravings. We didn’t know it was going to be our first and last eat out at that branch.

From then on we would head out to Binondo every time we get our craving for dimsum or anything they serve at President’s Tea House.

So it was really serendipitous to find them at SM North – Annex where we usually are every week.

These are what we had the last time we were there:

You have to try their Roasting Combination... and don't forget to ask for ginger sauce for the chicken. Yum!

Yang Chow rice (of course!), Hakao and shark's fin dumpling, roasting combination and bottomless drinks... oh and buchi for dessert. I just have to have buchi at any Chinese resto we eat in.

You can say that there’s really nothing unique or unusual about their food because you can order a platter of Yang Chow almost anywhere they serve Chinese food, but what I love about President’s Tea House is their authenticity. Their place in SM North looked very much like the Chinese restos in Hong Kong… minus the need for an interpreter, of course.

As a matter of fact their branch that used to be in Megamall had what I call the Chinese “carinderia” (a small eatery) ambiance. It's hard to describe, but when you're in a "typical" Chinese restaurant you would know.

And, you will know that the food is good because a lot of Chinese or Chinese-looking people frequent the place. I mean, who would know better how Chinese food is supposed to taste if not Chinese themselves, right?

Another thing I like about them, in particular at their branch in SM North – Annex, is the customer service. We almost always have our 2-year old in tow (so that would mean a stroller and baby bag, among other things) so I really appreciate being offered a high chair without having to ask for one, or just being friendly and attentive to my son’s antics scores plus points for me.

My policy is I would keep coming back to an establishment if they treat us well, even if their food may not be exceptionally praise-worthy.

Gumbo is another place that’s like our second home (not that their food is not praise-worthy because some of selections are) … but that’s for another entry.

Going back to President’s Tea House… aside from efficient customer service, the other thing I like about them is that their prices are reasonable. Although I think it’s much cheaper at their Binondo branch. Well maybe the rent at SM North would account for the difference.

Just the same I would give them 3.5 stars for customer service, taste and reasonableness of price.

Cleanliness also merits them plus points. There is certainly none of the old Chinese “carinderia” ambiance here… if you know what I mean. :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment