Theme Preview Rss

My Very Own "Bucket List"


Have you seen the movie “Bucket List” starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman? If you haven’t I will suggest that you find a copy ASAP. I saw it on HBO… several times… because I always manage to catch it when it’s halfway through.

While my chances of meeting someone like Jack Nicholson’s character in the movie… obscenely-moneyed-happy go-lucky… is probably 1/1,000,000 I have decided to write out my very own "Bucket List" just in case I do get to meet someone who might not be as obscenely moneyed and happy-go-lucky but is more than willing to “sponsor” my dreams just the same. Hehehe…

Kidding aside, I’m writing this list after reading Jack Canfield’s “What Do You Want in Life” article.

According to Jack Canfield, “One of the main reasons why most people don't get what they want is that they haven't decided what they want. They haven't defined their desires in clear and compelling detail. They don't know what they want …”

Naturally, this got me all fired up because I certainly want to get what I want. I know my desires are well defined in clear and compelling detail… or so I thought.

As I opened up a new document to begin listing down the things Jack Canfield suggested, I hit a dead end. Per Canfield, I was supposed to write the following:

30 Things I want to Have
30 Things I want to Do
30 Things I want to be before I die
20 things I love to do (that I could earn from)

I wanted to start with, “The 30 Things I want to Have” because I thought it was fairly easy since I believe I know what I want to have, but again I don’t know where to start.

For one I don’t want my list to be “trivial”… I don’t want it to contain just the latest gadgets or the newest craze. After all I am almost 40 (well, in 3 more years) I am supposed to have more “substance” than a teenager.

But, so far here is what I have… a random listing of “wants” yet as detailed as I could picture it as Jack Canfield adviced:

A high-end, fully-loaded SUV with an automatic transmission (think Montero, Pajero, Fortuner, X-Trail, Navara, CRV, etc) – I really want to be driving again but I don’t think I can do that with a stick shift anymore considering how uncoordinated my extremities and my brain are. Why an SUV? Because I think an elephant driving a mini cooper is not a pretty sight. :-)

A successful, passive/residual income-earning business of my own – I’ve been a stay-at-home (okay, work-at-home) mom for more than a year now and apart from the usual financial concerns that all freelance workers have I can say it is more “me” than being a “corporate slave”. However, the only way I can continue with this lifestyle “choice” is if I have a business that earns passive/residual income on its own.

Actually, my blogs have already started earning passive/residual income but I could use a few more hundreds or thousands of dollars to really live the lifestyle of my choice.

A fat, overflowing to the brim bank account – I have always known about the importance of saving, having an emergency fund, a retirement fund, a nest egg, etc. but somehow after 15 years of salaried employment I don’t have any of these to my name… not anymore. I used to have them, but the “money emergencies” I went through after I retired led to their depletion, so you can say I am back to square one, not really for myself anymore but for my son’s future.

A house I can really call my “dream home” – this would preferably be somewhere “high” and on a land that is made of adobe or something sturdier… definitely not limestone unless I want it to be suddenly swallowed by a big sinkhole. I’m thinking of a flood-free, exclusive subdivision somewhere in Quezon City.



To be continued…

0 comments:

Post a Comment