Theme Preview Rss

Would You Rent-A-Friend?


One of the first odd things I heard that was available for rent was a pet… “Rent-a-Pet”, which I think is very popular these days in Japan (or is it in China?) now the latest craze to hit the world by storm is “Rent-a-Friend”! How unorthodox is that?

In the Philippines I know people rent a lot of things… there is rent-a-car, rent-a-color (television), rent-a-cooler (air-conditioner) and even rent-a-tool (power tools). But, rent-a-friend is somewhat unheard of.

Maybe that will be a good business to put up… for people who have lost all sense of community and camaraderie and lack even the basest relationship skill to have and keep a “friend” probably because of the enormous amount of time spent alone in front of a computer surfing, playing online games or …taking care of a “virtual” friend (or pet).


Or maybe this rent-a-friend business will cater to those people who suddenly find themselves “friendless” because “former friends” now find them “useless” or devoid of value since they no longer present promising opportunities, powerful connections or an established network of influential people.

I remember President Noynoy Aquino’s long-time driver saying in an interview that his relatives and friends have “suddenly multiplied” since Noynoy became the president-elect. If that is not a testament on the viability of this rent-a-friend service, then I don’t know what will.

If I were P-Noy’s driver I would really rather rent-a-friend (or even rent-a-relative)… someone I can pay to be my friend for a day or two and know for a fact that he is being my friend because I am paying him to be one.

Better that than have so-called “friends” who work to earn your trust and confidence because they can “use” you in the future, but are in reality nothing but fair-weather, “user-friendly” friends.

How about you, wouldn’t you rather rent-a-friend if that is the case?

0 comments:

Post a Comment